Yes, yes, I know, I have jobs to get on with … and I was getting on with them. But I was forced to take a break to do something about the sudden shocking state of my left hand.
I received a sample of a new allergen-free laundry detergent in the mail yesterday. Apparently it’s a new and improved product for people with sensitive skin. No dyes, no perfumes, and designed to remove other allergens from fabrics. I use a scent-free detergent anyway, as heavy perfumes make us all itch and sniffle, but this new one sounded even better.
So, since I’m doing laundry today anyway, I decided to give it a whirl. As usual, it came in one of those annoying plastic pouches that are just about impossible to open. Scissors will get the job done neatly and efficiently, of course, but I was too lazy to walk upstairs from the washing machine in the basement to retrieve the appropriate tool. Thus I ripped at the thing until it finally gave in, and spilled its contents all over my hand. No big deal as it’s just laundry detergent, and even less of a deal since it’s made for sensitive skin, right? Wrong! A couple of hours later the skin on my left hand is burning and peeling ever so nicely.
I think I’ll be rewashing a load of clothes. Assuming, of course, that they haven’t disintegrated while hanging outside on the line. And no, even with a $3.00 off coupon, I won’t be buying the product, thanks. Unless of course they throw in a $20.00 coupon for purchase of ointment to offset the effects of using their product.